Liverpool Rumours Round-Up: Draxler, Sakho & Coutinho

Liverpool Transfer Rumours

As the month of August coming to an end, we heading in the final two weeks of the transfer window. We continue to provide the latest transfer news and rumours from Merseyside.

This week Liverpool are linked with Paris Saint-Germain’s Julian Draxler and are rumoured to be ready to battle it out with a host of Premier League rivals for his signature according to reports.

The German international only joined PSG from Bundesliga side Wolfsburg in January but could be heading for a sharp exit after failing to impress in Paris. Even though Draxler’s agent remained adamant that his client is staying with PSG, it is widely believed the midfielder will be on the move before the closure of the transfer window at the end of the month, and Liverpool are among the interested parties.

However, Liverpool could face strong competition from Premier League rivals Manchester United and Arsenal. Manchester United are said to be keen as they struggle to land top target Ivan Perisic from Inter Milan, and could now turn their attentions to Draxler instead. Arsenal are long-term admirers and could line up a swoop after slipping to a 1-0 defeat against Stoke City on Saturday afternoon.

On the defensive side of the field, West Bromwich Albion appears to be eyeing a possible move for Liverpool’s out-of-favour defender Mamadou Sakho to replace Manchester City bound skipper Jonny Evans, according to Simon Stone of BBC Sport.

The French defender did not feature for Liverpool ever since failing a drug test 16 months ago and with little prospect of first-team football on the cards at Anfield, the Baggies are said to have made their interest known.

Sakho did turn in some impressive displays at Crystal Palace last season before an injury ended his loan spell with the Eagles. His impressive displays also had him shortlisted for Crystal Palace’s Fans’ player of the season award despite having only made eight appearances.

Also, Barcelona have appeared to shelve their plans to sign Philippe Coutinho according to reports after their £114m offer was also turned down by the Reds. Barcelona’s bizarre ultimatum deadline of 7 pm on Sunday was ultimately ignored by Liverpool and the Brazil international’s hopes of moving to La Liga appear to have faded according to claims from various Barcelona-based media on Monday.

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague also indicated Ernesto Valverde’s side had been forced to concede defeat in their pursuit of Coutinho and had turned their attention towards landing Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund and Nice midfielder Jean Michael Seri.