Sturridge and Gomez to remain at Liverpool

Afternoon Bulletin

Daniel Sturridge won’t be sold this summer due to struggle to replace him

Liverpool will reportedly turn down approaches for Daniel Sturridge this summer due to their difficulty to find an adequate replacement. The injury prone 27-year-old only managed to make 11 starts in his 27 appearances last season. Out of which he scored seven goals while providing three assists.

The England striker has spent his summer following specialist fitness regime in Los Angeles, in a bid to avoid regular hip problems. Sturridge is clearly still being valued by Jurgen Klopp as reports emerged on Saturday night claiming that offers for the striker will be refused this summer.

According to the Mirror, only a “mammoth offer” would prompt the Reds to sell their No. 15, as Klopp believes that any money received for Sturridge would be dwarfed by the amount it would cost to bring in another forward of similar quality.

Given Sturridge’s unquestionable quality when fit, as it would be hard to find a similar calibre of striker for a reasonable fee. Sturridge still boasts a goalscoring rate of one every other game in a Liverpool shirt, despite struggling with fitness problems since his move from Chelsea in 2012.

Since Klopp’s appointment in 2015, Sturridge has been reduced to a bit-part role with Roberto Firmino taking his place as the first choice. He remains Liverpool’s best finisher averaging a goal every 170 minutes in all competitions last term despite his constant battle with injuries.

Liverpool to turn down Joe Gomez loan approaches

Jurgen Klopp will turn down loan approaches from a host of Premier League clubs by running the rule over Joe Gomez during pre-season. Liverpool have been inundated with requests to take the former Charlton defender on loan.

There has been significant interest from several clubs such as newly-promoted Brighton and Birmingham City. With the added demands of the Champions League this season, the door is open for the likes of Gomez and Klopp will not sanction a move from Anfield for the England Under-21 star until he has made an assessment later this month.

Xabi Alonso turns down Carlo Ancelotti job offer

Xabi Alonso was offered an immediate opportunity to continue his success-filled career in the game, courtesy of Bayern Munich manager Carlo Ancelotti. Ancelotti has revealed that he offered Alonso the role of his assistant manager at Munich but had been turned down.

As Bayern returned for pre-season, Ancelotti formally unveiled Frenchman Willy Sagnol as his new assistant but he was not the first choice for the position.

Ancelotti, 58, said: “I wanted an assistant who knew the club. I tried to convince Philipp Lahm before the end of the season, I also tried to convince Xabi Alonso. They refused.

“Willy suits perfectly, he has the right profile, he has been successful at Bordeaux, and he knows the players like Coman or Ribery, and he will improve our trainer team.”

Alonso has not yet committed to any new role since his retirement although told the ECHO a few months ago that a visit to Liverpool with his son Jontxu was definitely on the cards this season.

“That’s 100% sure, we are really looking forward to going back. I have heard great things about the new Main Stand,” he said.

“My son is desperate to go. He’s Liverpool born and always asks: ‘Dad. When are we going to Liverpool?’

“I say: ‘Okay, but at the moment I have busy weekends! We will go, don’t worry.’”